Choosing Exterior Door Hardware: Here's How to Handle It
Discover how our signature exterior door hardware delivers style, innovation and enhanced security to complement your home's most welcoming feature.
First Impressions Start at Your Front Door Handle Set
Designers and builders agree, a finely crafted handle set adds the finishing touch to your front door. It’s a natural focal point introducing the unique style found throughout your home. On the exterior, it typically includes a large, decorative handle, thumb-operated latch and matching deadbolt. A matching knob or lever operates the latch from the inside. Unlike more compact, keyed-lever hardware used in sliding patio doors, a quality handle set showcases performance with front-door style
Collaboration Is Key to Our Front Door Hardware Collections
Pella is proud to work with Baldwin® — the #1 brand for premium hardware. Drawing upon more than 160 years of combined experience, the Pella-Baldwin team has created three detail-rich assortments for our premium wood, fiberglass and steel front-entry doors.
Choose the Modern Collection to achieve a streamlined, contemporary look in nickel, polished chrome or matte black. Go with the Rustic Collection offering bold distressed finishes for the modern farmhouse front door. Consider the Classic Collection, a timeless accent for modern traditional and transitional homes in brass, nickel and more. In addition to the three Baldwin collaborations, Pella created their own Essentials Collection exclusively for wood doors. It offers a variety of today’s most popular finishes to complement any home style.
Feel Safer and More Secure Behind Baldwin Hardware
Baldwin has a legacy of quality and has ranked first in quality and security by architects, designers, and builders around the country. Every lockset is constructed of solid-forged brass to withstand the test of time. Best of all, Baldwin hardware provides added security enhancements to help protect your home in seconds. Here are the features that help make your home a stress-free sanctuary:
- Professional-grade security. Interior components are crafted of heavy gauge stainless steel for increased durability. Working parts are forged from solid brass for long-lasting strength, durability and smooth operation.
- Bump-proof and pick-resistant. Patented side-locking bar technology replaces the more vulnerable pin-and-tumbler design used in standard door locks. Damaging "bump keys" and other lock-picking techniques don't stand a chance.
- Multipoint locking system. Optional on premium wood and fiberglass exterior doors, all of our hardware offerings secure doors in multiple places for added security. System operates with just one twist of the thumb turn.
- One-key convenience. Optional SmartKey® locks allow you to use the same key for all of your doors. Add SmartKey Re-Key Technology to easily and securely re-key your lock in seconds
Sliding Glass Door Hardware: Designed with innovation in Mind
We offer a wide variety of beautiful and secure Baldwin hardware options to complement your new sliding door. Thoughtfully engineered, keyed-lever construction results in a low-profile design that’s extremely durable and easy to operate. Select hardware styles have been crafted for each of our wood, fiberglass and vinyl sliding patio doors. Common features and options include:
- Multipoint locking System. Optional safety enhancement secures sliding patio doors in two locations—top and bottom—improving your home’s security.
- Exterior key lock. With an exterior key lock, vinyl patio doors can be locked and unlocked from the outside with a key. Keyless options are also available.
- Integrated footbolt. Our patent-pending, footbolt option is available on select sliding patio doors. Placed flush with the doorframe, the footbolt provides secondary venting and locking abilities without compromising beauty.
- Easy to re-key. SmartKey Re-Key Technology on Baldwin hardware makes re-keying your patio door a breeze. Simply insert the functioning key, insert the SmartKey tool, and then insert the new key
- Effortless handle function. Patio door handles are incredibly easy to operate. A convenient thumb turn lock allows you to open and close the patio door with one hand.
Find Your Sliding Door Hardware Style
From the classic sophistication of pure white to the modern gleam of polished chrome, we have the styles and finishes to complete your sliding patio door project. Here’s a breakdown of the many options according to door material:
Wood Sliding Patio Doors
Our versatile collections complement the full range of modern sliding glass door designs. The Classic Collection achieves a traditional look in brass, nickel, oil-rubbed bronze and more. The sleek Modern Collection shines in chrome, nickel, matte black and brass. Our unique Rustic Collection enhances your re-imagined farmhouse in distressed nickel or bronze. Designed to enhance any décor, the Essential Collection comes in nickel or matte black plus an assortment of house-friendly favorites.
Fiberglass Sliding Patio Doors
Create a seamless look with patio door handles that are color-matched to the interior and exterior of your patio doorframe. Or choose upgraded metal finishes including brass, nickel or chrome for elevated style.
Vinyl Sliding Patio Doors
Complement your patio door finish with color-matched hardware from white and almond to portobello and morning sky gray. You may also coordinate your handle with upgraded finishes including nickel, brass or oil-rubbed bronze.
Explore the Elegance and Durability of French Door Hardware
Grand entrances are assured with hinged patio doors or exterior French doors. This classic swinging set helps create a seamless flow to the outdoors, flood space with natural light and enhance architectural beauty. The hardware you choose for this type of door must be durable, dependable and stunning.
The dream team of Pella and Baldwin delivers the hinged patio door and French door hardware your project deserves. Each style is crafted of forged stainless steel and solid brass for rock-solid performance and lasting strength. Security and convenience features include:
- Multipoint lock. The mortised and keyed multipoint locking system secures the door at multiple points for added security.
- Flushbolt locking system. Pulling up on the passive door handle locks the flushbolt at the top and bottom. Pulling up on the active door handle engages the multipoint lock at the top, middle and bottom of the panel.
- SmartKey technology. Advanced security feature allows you to re-key your lock with a new key in seconds.
Styles and Finishes Tailor Made to Fit Your Vision
Wood hinged patio doors may be paired with our Classic, Modern and Rustic hardware collections. Finishes range from chrome and brass to satin nickel and matte black. In addition, the Pella Essential Collection provides a coordinated look in a variety of popular finishes.
Smart Locks Enhance Security with Hidden Hardware
Check on exterior doors at home or away with an industry first in wireless smart home security. Pella Insynctive Technology features factory-installed smart locks or sensors seamlessly integrated into any door. Tap the accompanying free app to confirm doors are open or closed, locked or unlocked and receive real-time alerts if the status changes. It’s our latest advancement in safety, privacy and peace of mind.
From upgrading a single exterior door, to replacing French or glass doors throughout the home, our hardware completes any design on any project.