What do you do when you have company coming over, but you've got dishes spilling out of the sink and a layer of dust on every hard surface? Stay calm and fake it 'til you make it with these 11 quick cleaning tips.
Books, like throw pillows, chandeliers or rugs, are an expression of style, representing both who we are and who we want to be. Their stories transport us to another life or another world. They make us laugh, cry, think and dream. But they also serve another purpose, as pieces of coffee table décor that can truly complete a space.
The following are some of our top picks and some of the best coffee table books to check out and adorn your living room with this season.
1) Black and White (and a Bit in Between): Interior designer Celerie Kemble provides dramatic, modern and classic inspiration as she highlights the work of design stars and peers, including Bunny Williams, Thomas O’Brien, Mary McDonald, Victoria Hagan, Mark Hampton, Delphine Krakoff, Brad Ford, Philip Gorrivan, Carrier and Co., and Miles Redd.
2) Chanel: The Vocabulary of Style: As one of the most influential fashion designers of the 20th century, Gabrielle Bonheur "Coco" Chanel’s story is worth telling and reading about.
3) all in good taste: Kate Spade charms readers with how-tos, personal essays, anecdotes and recipes for entertaining – all in good taste.
4) Chasing Slow: In Chasing Slow, viral sensation and HGTV.com star Erin Loechner turns away from all of the fame and frenzy to trailblaze and champion a new-fashioned lifestyle – one that will refresh your perspective, renew your priorities and shift your focus to what matters most.
5) Audrey at Home: Memories of My Mother’s Kitchen: This beautiful book offers readers an inside look at the style icon’s life, while sharing recipes from Audrey Hepburn’s kitchen. Try the Penne alla Vodka! Your dinner guests and stomach will thank you.
6) The Finer Things: Timeless Furniture, Textiles, and Details: Quality matters to us, and if it matters to you, this book deserves a place on your table.
7) The Bucket List: 1,000 Adventures Big and Small: It’s never too soon or too late to get lost in adventure and go after the things you’ve only dreamed of doing.
8) The New York Times, 36 Hours: Europe: This special feature publication offers 125 well-crafted itineraries for quick but memorable European trips, accompanied by hundreds of color photographs to capture your imagination. We’re already planning our next trip abroad.
9) The Perfectly Imperfect Home: How to Decorate and Live Well: Written by domino magazine founding editor in chief, Deborah Needleman, this book shows how the point of decorating is to create the background for the best life you can have, with all its joys and imperfections.
10) Dresses to Dream About: Walk with Christian Siriano, as he takes fans through the creation process of his favorite gowns, from sketch to dress.
11) Paris in Color: If your dream is to visit Paris every single day, this book can take you there. Pick up a copy and take a journey through the world’s most romantic city – from color to magnificent color.
12) Valentino: At the Emperor’s Table: As arguably one of the most refined and graceful designers, it’s no surprise Valentino Garavani’s five residences, in Gstaad, London, Rome, New York, and Paris, as well as on his yacht, evoke the grandeur in which he lives.
13) Kate Spade New York: Things We Love: Another Kate Spade book? Yes. Because you can never have one too many.
14) The Kinfolk Table: This timeless book invites readers to take a break from their busy lives and build a vibrant, connected life through art, food, literature, design and more.
15) Escape: This collection of incredible beach photography isn’t just worthy of having a place of the coffee table. We think Gray Malin’s photos should be hung on the walls, it’s so stunning. But don’t just take our word for it!